Tuesday, February 2, 2016

JESUS RECEIVED WORSHIP AS WOULD GOD





A Muslim apologist claimed that Jesus was never worshipped. Not only was Jesus worshipped, but He always received the worship. Here are some examples:

·       Matthew 14:33  And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”

·       Matthew 28:9-10:  And behold, Jesus met them and said, “Greetings!” And they came up and took hold of his feet and worshiped him. Then Jesus said to them, “Do not be afraid; go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee, and there they will see me.”

·       Matthew 28:16-17:  Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted.

·       Luke 24:51-52: While he blessed them, he parted from them and was carried up into heaven. And they worshiped him and returned to Jerusalem with great joy,

·       John 9:38: He said, “Lord, I believe,” and he [Thomas] worshiped him.

·       John 20:27-29: Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here, and see my hands; and put out your hand, and place it in my side. Do not disbelieve, but believe.”  Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!” Jesus said to him, “Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

Receiving worship was something that only God could do. Notice how Paul made every effort to not be worshipped:

·       Acts 14:11-15” And when the crowds saw what Paul had done, they lifted up their voices, saying in Lycaonian, “The gods have come down to us in the likeness of men!” Barnabas they called Zeus, and Paul, Hermes, because he was the chief speaker. And the priest of Zeus, whose temple was at the entrance to the city, brought oxen and garlands to the gates and wanted to offer sacrifice with the crowds. But when the apostles Barnabas and Paul heard of it, they tore their garments and rushed out into the crowd, crying out, “Men, why are you doing these things? We also are men, of like nature with you, and we bring you good news, that you should turn from these vain things to a living God, who made the heaven and the earth and the sea and all that is in them.

Nor would an angel receive worship from John:

·       Revelation 22:8-9  I, John, am the one who heard and saw these things. And when I heard and saw them, I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who showed them to me, but he said to me, “You must not do that! I am a fellow servant with you and your brothers the prophets, and with those who keep the words of this book. Worship God.”

God alone is worthy to receive worship. Jesus clearly understands Himself to be God.

No comments: